Cheltenham Connect, Vision 21 for Gloucestershire and Transition Towns Cheltenham have come together as Cheltenham Green Doors to organise a third open homes event.
Fifteen homes, gardens and community properties across Cheltenham will be opened to the public over the weekend of 22nd and 23rd June. Each will be demonstrating a variety of ways in which their owners have improved the insulation, energy efficiency and environmental impact of their homes.
What will be on offer?
There are many people across Cheltenham who believe they they can make a difference to reducing carbon dioxide emissions. Some of them are opening their homes on 22nd and 23rd June to show what they have done.
Cheltenham Green Doors provides an opportunity to see real examples of what people have done, talk to the householders about their experiences, the advantages and disadvantages, and get an unbiased view with no hard sell.
Some of what you’ll be able to see over the weekend will be:
- Solar hot water panels (generating hot water)
- Solar photovoltaics (generating electricity)
- A home built to ‘PassivHaus’ standard (where the heating and cooling requirements are reduced to the point where a traditional heating system is no longer essential)
- Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
- Various forms of draught proofing and both internal and external insulation
- Solid wall and cavity wall insulation
- Air source heat pumps
- Sustainable gardens
- There will also be lots more from a sun-pipes and wildlife gardens to secondary triple glazing and rainwater harvesting.
For more information see Cheltenham Green Doors.